Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson has cancelled all schools for the month of March in the State of Arkansas to help combat and fight the Coronavirus outbreak.
Hutchinson said the announcement comes as a result of parents’ and educators’ “legitimate concern” over the spread of coronavirus in Arkansas.
The mandatory closures will start Tuesday, though districts statewide are authorized to begin Monday if they are prepared and willing to do so, according to the governor.
Normal classroom instruction will resume once spring break ends unless circumstances dictate the need for further action, Hutchinson said.
The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Arkansas has risen from 12 to 16, the state Department of Health website reported on Sunday.
Confirmed positive cases have so far been limited to Jefferson, Pulaski and Saline counties, according to the Health Department.