Nearly 200 evacuees prepared Tuesday to end their two-week quarantine at a Southern California military base. None of those who flew into March Air Reserve Base have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, health authorities said.
The group, which includes children, arrived from China Jan. 29, taking chartered flights from Wuhan, China.
Hundreds of evacuees in the past two weeks were flown to military bases in California, Texas and Nebraska, where many are still quarantined. With one exception, none have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, health authorities said.
One evacuee at another base has been found to have the highly infectious virus. The exception was an evacuee who flew into Marine Air Station Miramar in San Diego last week.
The adult and three other evacuees had been in hospital isolation after showing symptoms of the virus but on Sunday, federal health officials said they had tested negative and they were sent back to the base, where they joined more than 200 people who are under a 14-day quarantine.
In the United States, there have been only 13 confirmed cases, including seven in California, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other health officials.
The evacuees, which include U.S. State Department workers or their families, were isolated from base personnel and weren’t permitted to leave a fenced quarantine area, Kaiser said.
For additional information please visit our friends at Associated Press.