Seven adults and one teenager were injured in a shooting at the Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin on Friday according to Chief of Police Barry Weber’s statement.  He gave no motive for the attack and the shooter had left the scene before officers arrived.

The city’s mayor, Dennis McBride, said Saturday “that all eight survived and are believed to be recovering and the perpetrator is at large.”  The Wauwatosa Police Department confirmed late Friday that the shooter was still at large. 

Police said Saturday that they’re still searching for a man suspected in the shooting and added they did not believe it was a random act and may have started as an altercation based on a preliminary investigation.   

“We will continue to work diligently to interview the many witnesses, as well as the victims who were injured, to identify and apprehend the suspect,” police said.  They also asked anyone who witnessed the shooting to contact them.

“Investigators are working tirelessly to identify and apprehend the suspect from yesterday’s shooting at Mayfair Mall,” the Wauwatosa Police Department said in a tweet Saturday.  Preliminary statements from witnesses indicate that the shooter is a white male in his 20’s or 30’s, but the police chief said, “any information reporting the shooter’s identity at this time is false.”    

The FBI is also assisting in the investigation and interviewing witnesses, McBride said Saturday.

 The incident began just before 3 p.m. local time, officials said, when officers were called for an active shooter situation at the mall.  Witnesses reported hearing up to a dozen gunshots, officials said.  The shooter was no longer at the scene when emergency personnel arrived, Weber said.

“We are disheartened and angered that our guests and tenants were subject to this violent incident today,” Brookfield Properties, Mayfair’s Mall property management company, said in a statement. “We are thankful for our partners at the Wauwatosa Police Department and we are cooperating with them as their investigation develops.”

  Authorities said the mall was closed Saturday and investigators were on scene overnight.

0 0 votes
Article Rating

You Might Like

Leave a Reply

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments