In a news conference in Kansas City, Missouri today, Attorney General William Barr announced that there have been nearly 1,500 arrests across eight U.S. cities thus far under the “Operation Legend” law enforcement initiative.
“Operation Legend” launched roughly six weeks ago and highlighted by President Donald Trump in his reelection campaign.
According to the Justice Department, approximately 217 defendants have been charged with federal crimes, most of which are drug and gun-related. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also says it has seized nearly 400 firearms since the start of the operation.
“That’s more than 90 suspected killers who might still be on the streets without Operation Legend,” Barr said. “Our work is just getting started, there is no more important mission for the Department of Justice than keeping our communities safe,” Barr added.
Officials at the news conference could not say how many of the 1,485 individuals arrested under Operation Legend still remain in custody.
Barr launched Operation Legend early last month, telling ABC News Chief Justice Correspondent Pierre Thomas in an exclusive interview that the initiative was named in honor of 4-year-old LeGend Taliferro, who was shot and killed in his sleep on June 29 in Kansas City. Kansas City Police announced the arrest of a suspect in Taliferro’s murder last week.
For additional information visit our friends at ABC News